Wednesday 16 May 2012

Interview: Alan Dalby.

What is your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement could be seen as a pretty vague one. It's actually becoming a professional illustrator. It's really what I want to do in life and this is something I've worked at for a couple of years (longer if you include studying) and it's something I'm still working at. I don't think there will ever be a point where I feel I'm fully established. 

Being signed to the Column Arts Agency was a huge step for me. It's a small agency (in terms of members) with some fantastic illustrators who are very different stylistically from me, and that is exactly what I wanted from an agency. Another part of it is the great clients I've worked with, some really interesting magazines and small businesses which have all been really great. Without them, I couldn't call myself an illustrator.

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it?
My work is usually vector based, minimal design. I find enjoyment in playing with shape, which I think is reflected in my work. I also love drawing animals. 

What piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self?
Don't do A-level Maths. It's incredibly dull. 
Who/what has had the biggest influence on your work?
I think it's a tie between my tutors at Stockport and having friends that are great graphic designers. Both have really different ideas of quality, and I've had the pleasure of having both views. 

What is the worst job you have ever had?
Probably an illustration I did for a magazine a few months ago. I got supplied a really rough draft of the article with lots technical jargon. It wasn't easy to wrap my head around. 

Who would play you in the movie of your life? 
I'd like to be played by Michael Cera but my housemate just informed me I'm more Johan Hill. 

What is the greatest song of all time?
Love Cats by 'The Cure' never gets old, so it may be that. 

What do you dislike most about popular culture?
That most of it lacks quality.

What is the greatest invention of all time?
The Internet.

If you didn't do what you do, what would you do?
Perhaps an Art Director?



All images courtesy of Alandalby.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment