Wednesday 30 May 2012

Interview: Ben Steers.

What is your greatest achievement?
Working with Cannel 4 on a web game release last year. On a personal level, organising an arts based charity event that raised over £12,000 back in 2010.

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it? 
A myriad of different styles influenced by different eras and cultures. My work always retains an element of humour and playfulness that reflects my fun-loving character.

What piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self?
Learn more whilst you have the chance. My thirst for knowledge mow is very different to how I was when I was 15. I would give myself a slap and insist I take every opportunity I get not waste the next 3 ears on smoking and console screens!
Who would you most like to collaborate with? 
Tough one. There are so many artists/designers I'd love to collaborate with. If I had to pick one, it would have to be Pete Fowler and we'd bring out a series of vinyl toys together. Really love Pete's work and the environments he creates. Plus, I think our styles would compliment each other well. If you're reading this Pete......

What is the worst job you have ever had? 
There have been a few. The one which always amuses people is my short lived stint as a golf ball collector on a driving range. Once everyone had finished up, you'd walk around the golf range individually picking up the balls using a device that looked like a long tube with a plastic basket on the end. 3 hours every night and not repetitive in the slightest.

Who would play you in the movie of your life?
 First thoughts are towards George Clooney but he's getting on a bit now so I'd say Leonardo as I don't think he's done a duff film and I like to liken my looks to his.
What is the greatest song of all time?
I'm basing all these answers on what first comes to mind so on that basis I'm going to say Gerry Rafferty Baker St. I always loved the sax intro. Not sure it's the greatest but it's pretty good.

What do you dislike most about popular culture? 
Shows like X-Factor and The Voice. I'm the worst person to watch them with as I end up just shouting at the TV like a loon. Really can't stand manufactured pop music and finding humour in other peoples failings is not what I'm about. 

What is the greatest invention of all time? 
A question I have myself debated many a time and I always come back to the same answer - Denim. Don't know where I'd be without my skinny jeans!

If you didn't do what you do, what would you do? 
A bit of a cliche I'm sure but I'd like to make a difference through what I do. Doing what I'm not quite sure but doing something that made a difference to someone. That I think would be a fulfilling way to lead my life.
All images courtesy of www.bensteers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment