Wednesday 8 August 2012

Interview: Damien Barlow.

What is your greatest achievement?
I guess my biggest achievement would have to be gaining my degree in Print and Surface Pattern - I got a little bored of the whole eduction thing but really found a home in the creative world.

How would you describe your work to someone who hadn't seen it?
Hmmm well I have two styles of work. My hand paper cutes represent my dark, twisted side and are really detailed and bold.... often based around the end of the world or a particular brutal part of history. My pattern and character work represents my lighter side... lots of smiling faces, cool colours etc. There is a really contrast between my two working styles. 

What piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self?
CONCENTRATE!
 

When are you happiest?
That is easy....when I am with my family and friends,

What is the worst job you have ever had? 
Worst job was probably in a shoe store - I don't have anything against shoes or stores that sell them.... but this one housed particularly snobby staff and customers.

Who would play you in the movie of your life?
Ummm I would like my story to be animated so maybe a dinosaur like Rex in 'Toy Story' or a boy like Russell in 'Up'.

What is the greatest song of all time?
I like a real range of music but the songs that always stand out to me are the ones on the soundtracks of the pixar movies ... I like those.

What do you dislike most about popular culture?
Everyone wants to be older when they are still young.... didn't BIG teach us anything?

What is the greatest invention of all time?
Definitely the Dolorean in 'Back to the Future' - Doc Brown really cracked it with that one ... or the light bulb. I am scared of the dark and they help. 

If you didn't do what you do, what would you do?
I would be an explorer of space and time. That would be rad, I know that it is pretty impossible so for a realistic dream I would probably be a treasure hunter!


All images courtesy of www.damienbarlow.com



No comments:

Post a Comment